Lying Beside You by Michael Robotham is the third thriller in the Cyrus Haven series. You do not have to be familiar with the first two, Good Girl, Bad Girl and When She Was Good, to enjoy this mystery. But once you have read Lying Beside You you will certainly want to go back to the previous Cyrus Haven books.
Cyrus Haven is a criminal psychiatrist who works with the police. Former nurse Maya Kirk is missing from her home where her father was beaten to death. Haven is called in on the case. At the same time he is the psychiatrist for Mitchell Coates who has been paroled after serving time for attacking a nurse.
Lying Beside You is also the story of Evie McCormac, a twenty-one year-old from an eastern block country who has been through quite a lot. She is sort of Cyrus Haven’s ward or protégée. She has an uncanny ability to get in trouble, sometimes through no fault of her own, and can immediately tell if someone is lying.
Another nurse is kidnapped. It seems she had something in common with Maya Kirk and the nurse in the case Mitchell Coates went to jail for.
To add to Cyrus Haven’s troubles his schizophrenic brother, who killed Cyrus’ parents and twin sisters, is granted day releases from the jail he has been in for the last twenty some years. Cyrus becomes his caretaker when he is out.
Lying Beside you is an excellent thriller. Michael Robotham is quite adroit at balancing the stories of his two main characters whose stories are told in subsequent chapters. Evie sometimes serves to move the story along and sometimes as a somewhat lighter moment in an otherwise tense thriller. Of course, Evie gets involved in Cyrus’ investigation.
The reveal and finale will have you on the edge of your seat.
I highly recommend Lying Beside You by Michael Robotham
Lying Beside You
A Cyrus Haven thriller
- When She Was Good is the second Cyrus Haven thriller by Michael Robotham. You do not need to have read the first book, Good Girl, Bad Girl to enjoy this one. It would fill in some background info though. On its own, When She Was Good is a very good…
- You can depend on Michael Koryta for an excellent thriller. This time around it is Never Far Away. It is the story of a dead woman who must shed her new identity to become a mother to her now orphaned kids. Everything Michael Koryta excels in, plot, characters, child characters…
- When You Are Mine is an exciting new thriller from renowned crime writer Michael Robotham. Despite having a father who was a mob boss, Philomena McCarthy knew from when she was a young girl that she wanted to be a police officer. Still proving herself at 27, with her…
- When stuck trying to figure out what to read next, I sometimes go to an author’s back catalogue. This is how I came across Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta. Michael Koryta has proven to be a reliable go to if you want a well-written, interesting, and original…
- Fair Warning is the third Jack McEvoy thriller by acclaimed author Michael Connelly. The first two were The Poet and The Scarecrow. It's been too long since we have seen one of my favourite characters, writer Jack McEvoy. It's great to have him back. Once again he teams up with…