Michael Koryta wastes not a second in getting the reader fully invested in An Honest Man. In the first pages Israel Pike, a former convict, finds seven people dead on a yacht off his hometown of Salvation Point, Maine. He is thus suspected of the crime by his uncle, the local sheriff. Meanwhile, young Lyman Ranking hides from his belligerent father by finding shelter in an abandoned house and meets a strange, bloodied young woman. You can’t keep but turning the pages.
Koryta runs his parallel stories very well. Both Pike and Lyman are connected to what happened on the yacht and have to find a way to disentangle themselves from that
It is clear from the start An Honest Man is a complex mystery. So you get the odd scene that seems out place. One is that of the PI working for one of the victims warns Israel Pike not to become the next Lee Harvey Oswald. Is this just a metaphor for a patsy or is this a hint at there being political malfeasance here?
The second third of Koryta’s An Honest Man focuses on Israel Pike`s work as an informant for a local state policewoman. She says she is running a task force about Israel’s uncle (and has a major personal bone to pick with him).
There are a lot of untruths in Michael Koryta`s An Honest Man. This makes is somewhat hard to follow all plates the author has spinning at the same time. It is not enough to discourage the reader.
The climax to this thriller is as complex as the book itself. It is good but I found it somewhat unsatisfactory. This is perhaps because we can only guess at what is next for the two main characters without knowing for certain of their fate.
An Honest Man
Mulholland Books 2023
- You can depend on Michael Koryta for an excellent thriller. This time around it is Never Far Away. It is the story of a dead woman who must shed her new identity to become a mother to her now orphaned kids. Everything Michael Koryta excels in, plot, characters, child characters…
- When stuck trying to figure out what to read next, I sometimes go to an author’s back catalogue. This is how I came across Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta. Michael Koryta has proven to be a reliable go to if you want a well-written, interesting, and original…
- Michael Koryta is one of this fan's favourite writers. Never Far Away is a mystery/thriller that definitely lives up to his standard of excellence. With a blockbuster start, we find ourselves at a potential murder scene. Not for the squeamish, negotiations are being undertaken regarding the best way to kill…
- Excellent thriller. Easy read, hard to put down.
- When She Was Good is the second Cyrus Haven thriller by Michael Robotham. You do not need to have read the first book, Good Girl, Bad Girl to enjoy this one. It would fill in some background info though. On its own, When She Was Good is a very good…