You can depend on Michael Koryta for an excellent thriller. This time around it is Never Far Away. It is the story of a dead woman who must shed her new identity to become a mother to her now orphaned kids. Everything Michael Koryta excels in, plot, characters, child characters and, especially, villains is there in Never Far Away.
Nina Morgan worked as a pilot for a very rich man named Lowery. When something went wrong she decided to testify against him. Lowery hired the Blackwell brothers to have her killed. Something happened and Nina reinvented herself as Leah Trenton, a Maine guide and photographer. She had to leave her kids and husband. When the husband dies in a car crash, Nina must come back to life long enough to get her kids and bring them to Maine with her as their Aunt Leah.
Providing a semblancy of a normal life puts Aunt’s Leah’s idendity in jeapordy and Lowery finds out she is still alive. He sends two rather interesting killers after her. Dax Blackwell, son of one the Blackwell brothers, is also looking for Nina / Leah for reasons of his own.
Who will find Nina first? Is there someone out there to help her? Can Leah escape her past and keep her kids safe?
The Blackwell brothers were the real stars of Michael Koryta’s Those Who Wish Me Dead (which I highly, highly recommend). Dax Blackwell is a chip off the old blocks. Leah Trenton is a solid character on her own. The kids are quite believeble as kid characters.
Everything works in Nevery Far Away
Never Far Away by Michael Koryta is a page turner. If you are unfamiliar with Koryta’s work, and you should be, reading this one will make you want to read all the other ones.
Never Far Away
Little, Brown and Company 2021
- When stuck trying to figure out what to read next, I sometimes go to an author’s back catalogue. This is how I came across Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta. Michael Koryta has proven to be a reliable go to if you want a well-written, interesting, and original…
- Michael Koryta is one of this fan's favourite writers. Never Far Away is a mystery/thriller that definitely lives up to his standard of excellence. With a blockbuster start, we find ourselves at a potential murder scene. Not for the squeamish, negotiations are being undertaken regarding the best way to kill…
- Michael Koryta wastes not a second in getting the reader fully invested in An Honest Man. In the first pages Israel Pike, a former convict, finds seven people dead on a yacht off his hometown of Salvation Point, Maine. He is thus suspected of the crime by his uncle, the…
- True to other Preston and Child Pendergast Novels--this is their 21st--The Cabinet of Dr. Leng is an engaging adventure. It is not necessary to have read previous Pendergast novels in order to follow this one, although a familiarity with the characters would enhance your experience. In The Cabinet of Dr.…
- Fair Warning is the third Jack McEvoy thriller by acclaimed author Michael Connelly. The first two were The Poet and The Scarecrow. It's been too long since we have seen one of my favourite characters, writer Jack McEvoy. It's great to have him back. Once again he teams up with…