Mystery novel meets Stephen King in the excellent and scary Our Trespasses by Michael Cordell.
Our Trespasses uses a few of the tropes of the mystery genre but Cordell brings a few paranormal touches to his story. This creates an original page turner that will stay with you for a while.
The trope is Matt returns to his small town home after the murder his his twin brother Jake. Matt has always had a psychic connection with Jake, a connection he has tried to keep under tight control. Unfortunately, Jake’s death only magnifies this psychic connection as he tries to take over Matt and regain life. If Jake manages to take over Matt it is the devil himself who will gain control and reign supreme.
The only way out for Matt is to find out who Jake hurt so badly and have that person forgive him. If he can do that, the bond with Jake and the dark forces will be broken.
I know all this sounds like a bit much. It kind of is. But it absolutely works. Michael Cordell keeps the suspense and the creepy crawlies going throughout Our Trespasses without once dropping the ball of willing suspension of disbelief. You really do buy the premise and the paranormal events, even if some are out of a B horror flick.
Our Trespasses by Michael Cordell is one hell of a paranormal mystery novel.
TCK Publishing 2021
- Contempt by Michael Cordell is a pretty good thriller. It is not perfect, and more on that later, but Contempt makes for a good, satisfying read. The premise is brilliant real estate attorney Thane Banning gains his freedom after spending five years in jail for the murder of an assistant…
- When She Was Good is the second Cyrus Haven thriller by Michael Robotham. You do not need to have read the first book, Good Girl, Bad Girl to enjoy this one. It would fill in some background info though. On its own, When She Was Good is a very good…
- When You Are Mine is an exciting new thriller from renowned crime writer Michael Robotham. Despite having a father who was a mob boss, Philomena McCarthy knew from when she was a young girl that she wanted to be a police officer. Still proving herself at 27, with her…
- Michael Koryta is one of this fan's favourite writers. Never Far Away is a mystery/thriller that definitely lives up to his standard of excellence. With a blockbuster start, we find ourselves at a potential murder scene. Not for the squeamish, negotiations are being undertaken regarding the best way to kill…
- Excellent thriller. Easy read, hard to put down.