Though published fourth, Florida Roadkill is the first of twenty-one Serge Storms comic mystery novels by Tim Dorsey. It is clear while reading Florida Roadkill that Dorsey is trying to get his footing. Here Serge Storms is just a psycho killer on the loose in the middle of a rollicking adventure. Florida Roadkill also features two straight characters Sean, a family man, and David, an assistant DA, that could easily have become the main characters of the series. Kindle: Florida Roadkill: A Novel (Serge Storms series Book 1)
The central plot in Florida Roadkill is Serge Storms and his buddy Coleman are grifters on the make who hook up with a blonde bombshell who likes to marry rich men and become their widow. The trio come across a dentist and Serge chops off three of his fingers to collect on the five million dollar insurance money.
Once insurance cheque is cashed, everybody is after the five million: The president of the insurance company that is really a front for a drug cartel, hit men from the cartel, the dentist, and Sege and Coleman.
There is a major problem with one of the plot points in Tim Dorsey’s Florida Roadkill in terms of this becoming a series. It would be a major spoiler to tell you what that is. It is totally ignored in subsequent Serge Storms novels
Otherwise, the basics of the recipe is there but the book does not flow as smoothly as later Serge Storms adventures. This makes Tim Dorsey’s first Serge Storms comic mystery a decent read but not the book someone new to Dorsey will want to start with.
If you like Tim Dorsey, you will also like Carl Hiaasen and Laurence Shames
Serge Storms Book 1
- Nobody reads a Tim Dorsey Serge Storms thriller seriously. Dorsey writes comic thrillers centered around a very intelligent and imaginative serial killer, Serge Storms, and his sidekick Coleman. Storms and Coleman get into and cause all sorts of comic mayhem and the killer finds new and original ways to kill…
- To say a comic mystery by Tim Dorsey is unusual sounds a bit redundant. This time, it is not. The Pope of Palm Beach, the 21st Serge Storms adventure is not really about Serge Storms. The story here focuses on a legendary surfer named Darby and his protege Kenny. This…
- Tim Dorsey and Serge Storms brings the manic Christmas spirit to Triggerfish Lane in When Elves Attack: A Joyous Christmas Greeting from the Criminal Nutbars of the Sunshine State. This 14th Serge Storms novel is an absolute joy, yuletide or not Triggerfish Lane was the home of Jim and Martha…
- Naked Came the Florida Man is the twenty-third Serge Storms novel by Tim Dorsey. It is also one of his most focused and linear efforts. This one is sure to please Dorsey fans and make him new ones. There are two parallel stories in Naked Came the Florida Man. The…
- Laurence Shames delivers another weird and funny crime caper in Tropical Swap. Tropical Swap is a fun, light read that doesn’t require too much involvement. At the same time it satisfies the need for a good read. This is the tenth book in Laurence Shames Key West Capers. You do…