California Bear (buy at Amazon) by Duane Swierczynski is a fun and original thriller. Though not an absolute page-turner, California Bear keeps the reader interested to the end with a cast of novel characters and an original plot.
The California Bear is a serial killer that terrorized L.A. some forty years ago. He is planning a comeback. Cato Hightower is a retired L.A police detective who stole some files and has hunted down the bear. While doing that, he has also proven the innocence of single father and former jazz musician Jack “Killer” Queen for a hit and run. Hightower keeps a close eye on Jack Queen as he is due for a big payout for wrongful imprisonment. Jack being without many options agrees to help Hightower catch the Bear.
The star of this fun read is The Girl Detective. She is Jack Queen’s daughter and has promised her high school teacher to solve a cold case as a final school project. The problem is The Girl Detective is stuck in a hospital after being diagnosed with leukemia.
The Girl Detective is the most defined and interesting character in California Bear. She is, of course, smart and wise beyond her years and very resourceful.
This thriller is structured in chapters that focus on one character throughout. It’s a change from the same-o same-o of most mystery novels.
Aside from a couple of chapters, Duane Swierczynski is quite good at keeping the story moving. Fans of internet sites devoted to cold cases will find themselves at home in this environment.
There are a couple of surprising twists at the end of California Bear but they are all warranted and set up right.
California Bear ends in a way the reader expects this might become a series. I hope so, I really liked The Girl Detective.
Mulholland Books 2024
- No One Will Hear Your Screams by Thomas O’Callaghan is the third thriller featuring Lieutenant John Driscoll. If you like mystery novels where a police detective goes after a mad and peculiar serial killer, you are going to enjoy this one. If you are a picky reader, you are going…
- Look What You Made Me Do is a captivating, original, and thrilling novel of suspense. Canadian author Elaine Murphy has come up with characters you have not met yet. The situations will either keep you up at night because you can’t put this thriller down or because every creak you…
- A drive by shooting develops into a complicated and twisted story.
- This third Harry Bosch mystery is solid.
- Save Me is the first mystery novel featuring FBI agent Katie Winter. Author Molly Black is also the author of the Maya Gray FBI thriller series, the Rylie Wolf FBI suspense series, The Ruby Hunter FBI series, and the Taylor Sage, you guessed it, FBI mystery novels. Save Me was…