Like a Sister is the third mystery novel by Kellye Garrett. It is a leisurely paced whodunit and a good read
Desiree Pierce, famous for being on the internet and once on a reality TV show, is found dead in a low rent New York city neighbourhood. There are track marks on her thigh. Her half sister Lena immediately thinks something is fishy because of the trope that although a coke addict the victimn would never have done heroin.
Lena takes time off her studies, lots of time off from her studies, to investigate her sister’s death. She starts suspecting Erin, Desiree’s best friend. Lena also thinks the murder has something to do with a DUI Desiree was accused of and got off on a few years back.
Set in the Black community, Like a Sister introduces those unfamiliar with that world to a rich and interesting world. See it as a bonus for those, like me, unfamiliar with that culture.
Being an impatient reader, I found Like a Sister by Kellye Garrett a bit too long but that is probably just me.
Like a Sister
Mulholland Books 2022
- Birthdays are for celebrating, and that's what 25 year-old reality star Desiree Pierce does. Unfortunately, the night takes a deadly turn, so she will not be celebrating 26. She is found sprawled in a park in The Bronx, dead. The word is that the Black woman with a history of…
- Second The Camel Club mystery, The Collectors, is very good.
- Wordsworth, murder and Fletcher Christian. How could they all come together?
- Painter Crowe is trapped in the Himalayas, Grayson Pierce botches a simple surveillance in Europe and Nazis are once again threatening the world.
- Getaway is an intense psychological thriller by author Zoje Stage. Three old and formerly dear friends set out to trek the Grand Canyon. The confident no-nonsense Beck is a physician. The reticent Imogen is a budding writer whose imploded life is shaped by trauma. They are closely bonded sisters and…