Paradise City is an excellent thriller by Vermont mystery writer Archer Mayor. Mayor can be uneven when it comes to the Joe Gunther series but Paradise City is lean and moves along at a brisk pace.
Unlike some Joe Gunther mystery novels, Paradise City does not have a lot of secondary story fodder to mess up what is otherwise a good story. Here, the secondary stories have to do with Mina Carson who does her own investigating to avenge the death of her grandmother and an enslaved migrant worker.
After a little old lady is burgled in Beacon Hill, Boston police officer has to investigate her murder. Meanwhile in Vermont, a McMansion is burgled and torched. Joe Gunther and the Boston cop learn the burglars now focus on jewelry because there is a place in Northampton, Massachusetts that pays top dollar for silver and gold.
Vermont detective Gunther teams up with a couple of other police forces to find the cleverly run Northampton operation. They cross paths with Mina Carson who is also on the case.
Paradise City by Archer Mayor is one of the top notch Joe Gunther mystery novels.
A Joe Gunther mystery
Minotaur Books 2013
- Proof Positive, the twenty-fifth Joe Gunther mystery novel by Archer Mayor, is one of the really good ones. Archer Mayor’s series is somewhat uneven but he is firing on all cylinders with Proof Positive. Ben Kendall, a Vietnam vet and hoarder, is found buried under an avalanche of his stuff.…
- The Surrogate Thief is the fifteenth Joe Gunther mystery novel by Archer Mayor. As mystery novelists go, Archer Mayor is decidedly uneven in his production. Some Joe Gunther novels plod along with a plot and characters the reader barely cares about. This is not the case for the Surrogate Thief.…
- 2006 Joe Gunther mystery features Archer Mayor 's usual strength and weaknesses.
- An interesting novel different from others by the author
- Crosscut is not a Joe Gunther mystery novel. Instead, Archer Mayor writes what Marvel would call an origin story. Crosscut is the story of how Sam Martens got a job with the VBI. Army vet Martens comes home only to be kicked out by her mother and her new boyfriend.…