One Good Deed is the first in David Balcacci’s Aloysius Archer mystery novel series. One Good Deed is a solid mystery.
It is 1949 and Archer has just been paroled. He must spend time his parole in a dry, dusty town called Poca City. Soon after he is in town he gets hired by local bigwig Hank Pittleman to recover monies owed by dust farmer Tuttle. Tuttle who won’t pay in part because his wayward daughter is Pittleman’s mistress.
Pittleman gets killed and the suspect is Archer. Fortunately for him, an honest police detective named Shaw not only believes he is innocent but takes him under his wing and ever lets him be consultant on the case (yes, that one is hard to swallow but mystery fiction is mystery fiction).
Bodies start piling up, Archer’s pretty parole officer and Jackie Tuttle go missing along with a fortune in cash and gold. Archer finds himself accused of Tuttle’s murder and decides to defend himself in court.
Archer having told Shaw he might be interested in becoming a private detective, one can only hope he has learned quickly and enough to save himself from the noose.
David Baldacci, best known for the Camel Club series, is a very good writer and this is a solid mystery. Just make sure you have a good dose of willing suspension of disbelief.
One Good Deed
An Archer mystery
Grand Central Publishing (2019)
- Second The Camel Club mystery, The Collectors, is very good.
- The second Archer novel proves David Baldacci masters the hardboiled detective genre. A Gambling Man is a trip back to the pulp fiction of the forties and fifties. It features the detective, the dame with great legs, a corrupt politician or rich guy, and enough murders to keep Aloysius Archer…
- Dream Town by David Baldacci is a good old fashionned detective novel set in 1953 Hollywood. If you like a whodunit with a complex plot and characters you are going to love Dream Town. Baldacci’s take on Hollywood in the fifties is quite refreshing and a great part of this…
- Followers of David Baldacci's Atlee Pine novels will know by the title that Mercy is a significant book. Tall and muscular Atlee Pine is a crack FBI agent. She has a twin sister who she hasn't seen in years. The loss is gut-wrenching. It is sometimes the only thing Atlee…
- This mystery could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.