The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling is third Bernie Rhodenbarr mystery novel by the prolific Lawrence Block. Kipling adds a base of operations for the burglar: a used bookstore named Barnegat Books. Rhodenbarr also has a new friend and sometimes sidekick, pet groomer Carolyn.
This time around, a customer enters Bernie Rhodenbarr’s bookstore and asks him to steal a rare book by Rudyard Kipling. The task done, the burglar goes to the delivery spot only to be drugged and wake up with a gun in his hand and a dead woman on the floor of the apartment. Once again, Rhodenbarr must prove his innocence by finding the culprit himself.
The mystery also involves why so many people are interested in this rare Kipling and why some seem to know more than they should.
The solve to this Lawrence Block mystery is a bit convoluted. Rhodenbarr invites all interested parties to meet him in his bookstore. He then pulls the classic confronting all the possible cuplrits. Of course, someone confesses. Obviously, the cops are on hand to arrest him or her.
This mystery series by Lawrence Block is almost always a fun, light, entertaining comic read. This one is no exception.
The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling
A Bernie Rhodenbarr Mystery
Signet 313 pages
Also by Lawrence Block and reviewed here:
The Keller / Hitman series: Hit Me Hit and Run
The Matthew Scudder series: All the Flowers are Dying A Drop of the Hard Stuff
- Burglars Can’t Be Choosers is the first of eleven Bernie Rhodenbarr mystery novels by Lawrence Block. Lawrence Block is also known for his series featuring private eye Matthew Scudder and the series featuring hit man Keller. The Bernie Rhodenbarr books are Lawrence Block lite. Rhodenbarr is a gentleman burgler. He…
- An average Bernie Rhodenbarr mystery novel is still a decent read. Lawrence Block set the bar pretty high with the early books in this mystery series such as The Burglar in the Closet, The Burglar Who Liked To Quote Kipling, and the very funny The Burglar in the Library, but…
- The Burglar Who Counted The Spoons is the eleventh Lawrence Block mystery novel featuring burglar Bernie Rhodenbarr. Granted, the series is formulaic. For example, the mysteries often end with all the suspect gathered in one place with Bernie explaining the whodunit and / or Rhodenbarr turning the tables on one…
- Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead is the eleventh Matthew Scudder mystery novel by Lawrence Block. Also known for his Burglar series, Block has in Matthew Scudder the perfect hard-boiled detective. Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead is Block in very fine form but less a mystery than a character…
- Hard Case Crime is a new imprint for fans of the mystery novel.