Kinds of Love, Kinds of Death is the first of five Mitch Tobin mystery novels by Tucker Coe aka Donald E. Westlake. Westlake is best known for his comic caper novels featuring Dortmunder or his darker heist novels featuring Parker. Here, under the pseudonym Tucker Coe, Westlake takes on the whodunit with great success.
Mitch Tobin is an ex-cop who was tossed off the police force under dark circumstances. He is not doing much with his life. He is contacted by mobster Ernie Rombeck. Rombeck’s mistress has been killed and some loot is missing. Rombeck wants Tobin to find out who killed his mistress before the cops do.
Things get interesting because Tobin thinks this was an inside job. The reader gets to see how the mob works from the inside, especially those perfectly legal businesses run by people who used to be crooked.
Kinds of Love, Kinds of Hate by Tucker Coe and Donald E. Westlake is your standard murder mystery. What makes it stand out is the main character and his innner conflicts as well as the secondary characters.
The reveal is both surprising and excellent. It is also complex and makes perfect sense. Though originally published in 1966, this mystery novel has aged very well.
This whodunit is Donald E. Westlake in fine, fine form.
Kinds of Love, Kinds of Death
Donald E. Westlake
A Mitch Tobin Mystery
Originally published 1966
Mysterious Press 2013
- Don’t Lie To Me is the fifth and final Mitch Tobin mystery novel by Tucker Coe aka Donald E. Westlake. If you like a closed room mystery, you will be well served by this novel. Former cop Mitch Tobin is now night watchman at the Museum of American Graphic Art.…
- It is unfortunate that Jade In Aries has not aged well at all. The fourth of five Mitch Tobin mystery novels by Tucker Coe aka Donald E. Westlake takes place in New York City’s gay community. Though Donald E. Westlake does a great job depicting some aspects of that community,…
- Trust Me On This is Donald E. Westlake’s take on tabloid news. Though at times funny, this novels is simply banal and for Westlake fans only. Sara Joslyn has just been hired by a tabloid called The Weekly Galaxy. On her way to work she finds a dead body and…
- The Comedy Is Finished a manuscript found and published after the death of author Donald E. Westlake aka Richard Stark by Hard Case Crime. Unlike other lost mystery or thrillers by dead writers, this one rocks from page one to the end. The Comedy is Finished is not some second…
- The Hot Rock by Donald E. Westlake aka Richard Stark is the first of fourteen Dortmunder mystery novels. Like all others in the series, The Hot Rock has Dortmunder pulling a heist where everything goes comically wrong. Not to spoil anything but this heist involves a hypnotist, a train, a…