Don’t Lie To Me is the fifth and final Mitch Tobin mystery novel by Tucker Coe aka Donald E. Westlake. If you like a closed room mystery, you will be well served by this novel.
Former cop Mitch Tobin is now night watchman at the Museum of American Graphic Art. On his rounds he finds the body of a naked man. All of the doors to the museum are locked so how did the body get there?
A secondary plot line involves his former mistress Linda. She asks Tobin to use what he has left of his influence with the cops to get some bad guys to lay off her husband. He has recently been freed from jail and has no intention of joining a gang and going back inside.
The bad guys go after Mitch Tobin and this just muddles the issue for the cops in charge of finding out who left the body in the museum. It also complicates things for Tobin who wants to keep Linda’s presence the night of the murder a secret.
This may not be Donald E. Westlake’s best mystery novel but it is certainly entertaining and a good read.
Don’t Lie to Me
A Mitch Tobin mystery
Donald E. Westlake
Originally published 1972
Mysterious Press 2013
- Kinds of Love, Kinds of Death is the first of five Mitch Tobin mystery novels by Tucker Coe aka Donald E. Westlake. Westlake is best known for his comic caper novels featuring Dortmunder or his darker heist novels featuring Parker. Here, under the pseudonym Tucker Coe, Westlake takes on the…
- It is unfortunate that Jade In Aries has not aged well at all. The fourth of five Mitch Tobin mystery novels by Tucker Coe aka Donald E. Westlake takes place in New York City’s gay community. Though Donald E. Westlake does a great job depicting some aspects of that community,…
- Trust Me On This is Donald E. Westlake’s take on tabloid news. Though at times funny, this novels is simply banal and for Westlake fans only. Sara Joslyn has just been hired by a tabloid called The Weekly Galaxy. On her way to work she finds a dead body and…
- The Comedy Is Finished a manuscript found and published after the death of author Donald E. Westlake aka Richard Stark by Hard Case Crime. Unlike other lost mystery or thrillers by dead writers, this one rocks from page one to the end. The Comedy is Finished is not some second…
- Cops and Robbers is a stand alone thriller by Donald E. Westlake. Westlake is the master of the heist novel. His comic mysteries feature Dortmunder and are written by Westlake while the darker novels featuring Parker are published under the Richard Stark pseudonym. Cops and Robbers is a comic title…